Thanks to that fantastic invention that we call the internet, it's become common for people to take something that you’ve been doing for years and make it easier, without you ever realising it was hard in the first place. Spotify is the latest example of this in Australia.
What is Spotify?
You may have already heard about it (it’s been big in Europe for years) but it’s only just been released in Australia, hence our excitement! Spotify is a program that you download to your PC, Mac or mobile device that looks the same as iTunes or other music players, except instead of only having access to your pre-purchased music, you instantly have access to every single song on its database for your location. It plays the music on demand, meaning you don’t wait for it to download but stream over the internet, so the second you have Spotify open you have access to millions of your favourite songs.. all legally too!
What’s good about Spotify?
Here in the office we’ve got lots of reasons to think Spotify is fantastic, and here are some of our top tips:
- You can save playlists of all your favourite songs and then you can:
- Make them public so anyone else can subscribe i.e add your playlist to their collection
- Make them collaborative i.e let your friends all contribute and add songs to the same playlist – great for the office where everyone has different tastes
- Because the music plays live, there’s no need to wait for downloads or need to buy more memory on your computer. You do have the option to download songs and have them as offline playlists so that you can listen without an internet connection, which is especially useful when using the phone app
- Connect it to your Facebook so you can see what your friends are listening to, and then judge them!
- You can get it on your mobile. You can download the app and listen to your playlists on the go. You can even create offline playlists so you don’t have to waste your 3G data
- Listen to the charts. Each week Spotify updates its top charts so that you can listen to the most popular songs in the chart this week
- Use the Spotify Radio to automatically create playlists suited to your tastes
- Sync it with your iTunes account so that any music you already own is also on there
- Listen to albums before anyone else, with loads of artists giving previews on Spotify before they hit the shops
- There are three different payment options. from free up to a pretty reasonable $11.99 a month depending on what you use it for. View pricing plans here.
The embarrassing bit
You may have already seen on Twitter and Facebook that we at Captovate have a fantastic taste in music! We'd would love to share this with you all, so if you’re feeling that afternoon slump and need a quick pick me up, login and listen to our Afternoon Wake Up Playlist.